CMS Page not loading

Silverstripe Version: 3.6.0

Question: I am in an admin role which includes looking after a website. However, I have no developer background/knowledge. I have certain navigation pages that when I click on them, do not load and therefore I cannot edit the pages that I need to.

Can anyone help me in very basic terms?

// Include any relevant code. If you have a lot of code, link to a gist instead.

Unfortunately it’s going be near-impossible to help out without some technical information about the site.
There are ways to try and establish what the situation is, for example checking the error logs on the server and checking the developer tools in the browser.
The underlying issue could be a number of things from a problem with the underlying code, or maybe the server has been updated to a later version of software which is causing problems, etc.

Are any error messages displayed when you try to edit the page?

No error message appears, the silverstripe logo flashes up for a second and then disappears. Nothing else happens, no error message.

Can you please tell me how to check the error logs and the developer tool in the browser?

Also is it easy to upgrade the version I’m working in?

Thanks

You can view the requests in your browser developer tools, usually by pressing F12, and then choosing the ‘network’ tab. This may show you some information. Other error logs will most likely be available from your hosting provider.

How easy the upgrade will be is, again, difficult to answer I’m afraid. If there’s a lot of custom code, or a lot of add-ons installed, then it might be complex… if it’s a simple installation, it may be relatively straightforward. You’ll need access to all the source code for the site, and you’ll really want to take a copy of the site so you can go through the upgrade process on a test server rather than on your production site.