How can I use Git(Hub) to make changes on local (Wamp) and push changes to a live website (hosted on a hosting provider)?
I would like to use GitHub to track any changes I make to my website.
Steps done so far:
- I installed a fresh (latest) Silverstripe on an internet hosting and configured it
- Installed a theme (Watea) and made a few HTML and CSS changes, but realised I needed a way to track this changes.
- Website runs as expected on the live hosting. However, to be more diligent, I would like to make these changes locally (on my own computer) so I can test them, before pushing them back to Github and finally pushing changes to the live site.
- From the live website, I made a first commit to Git, configured Git remote and pushed the project into Github
- My .gitignore file reads as:
/silverstripe-cache/ /.env /vendor/ /themes/simple/ /_resources/ /public/_resources/
- Using Github, I made a clone of the repository to my localserver. I am using WAMP where I have a few installed Silverstripe websites I use for training and learning.
- The repository is in the same folder as the other local websites I created for training
The clone repository came without the Silverstripe core files, which is expected, so my question is, what’s the best way to replicate the live conditions (core files/modules/themes) without replacing anything on the cloned repository?
Is the best way to migrate (copy and paste) the folders present in the .gitignore file, from the live FTP to my locaserver cloned repository folder?
Many thanks if anyone can help