Rename a folder from DataObject

Silverstripe Version:
Silverstripe 4.4.3

Question:

How do you rename a folder in the new filesystem? There doesn’t seem to be any reliable documentation on the subject for something that seems like it should be simple.

I am trying to set up an object called a “LinkedAssetFolder” that will keep the id of a created folder saved so that images will always be correctly linked even if the client changes the page name.

This worked great in SS3, but in SS4, i am now stuck with the issue that once the folder is created with the ‘new-dataobject’ segment as a name, i can’t rename it from the dataobject, and the versioning stuff in the database seems to be recreating the folder with the wrong name if i delete it to try to make it retry. It is getting immensely frustrating.

$folder_dataobject->renameFile('new-name');

This code doesn’t seem to do anything, but there is nothing specifically in the Folder.php object or anywhere in the documentation that suggests how i might be able to do this.

Note: I do not want to have to write React for this, SS3 could do this without any need for javascript and SS4 should really be able to do it too.