Require login for certain pages

Silverstripe Version: 4.8

Question: Require login for certain pages

Login is required for some pages on my site. This thread General Questions » Silverstripe CMS from 2009 refers to the Access Tab, however, I can’t seem to be able to find that tab in my Silverstripe CMS. Is this answer still valid today? Can the access tab be enabled and disabled?

In general, is there a difference between backend and frontend users in Silverstripe? Or do all users go under Security?

Thank you,
Bernhard

You’ll find the bit you need in the ‘Settings’ tab of a page:

Under ‘Who can view this page?’ you can set up the access permissions.

There’s no difference in users, no. What differentiates them is the permissions / groups they are in. You can set up different groups with different permissions (including things like CMS access) in the security area. You can also create your own custom permissions / roles if you need to.

The security section of the docs has references for a few different things, depending on what you’re after: https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/5/developer_guides/security/

What if I don‘t see the ‘Who can view this page?‘ section even though I am an admin? Can these fields be disabled/hidden somewhere? The settings tag looks as follows on my end:

Thank you!