SilverStripe version update from 3.6.1 to 4.3.3

How to recover from command line error while upgrading silverstripe version 3.6.1 to 4.3.3

I have a website that uses SilverStripe version 3.6.1. I have set it up in localhost, PHP version 5.6 to upgrade its version from 3.6.1 to 4.3.3.
I am using Windows 10 system.

I am following SilverStripe Auckland Meetup - Maxime on upgrading to SS4 and https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/4/upgrading/upgrading_project/

I am using command prompt of Windows.

I could run following command successfully.
composer global require silverstripe/upgrader

But when I am trying to run following command, I get error - Command “all” is not defined.
upgrade-code all --recipe-core-constraint=4.3.3 --namespace=“App\Web” --psr4

If I run upgrade-code recompose --recipe-core-constraint=4.1 --write command, I see Command “recompose” is not defined. error.

Same errors I get if I run above commands in Windows PowerShell.

Can you please suggest how to run above command without error?

// Include any relevant code. If you have a lot of code, link to a gist instead.

If I run upgrade-code -v, I see following.

SilverStripe Upgrader 1.0.0

Usage:
command [options] [arguments]

Options:
-h, --help Display this help message
-q, --quiet Do not output any message
-V, --version Display this application version
–ansi Force ANSI output
–no-ansi Disable ANSI output
-n, --no-interaction Do not ask any interactive question
-v|vv|vvv, --verbose Increase the verbosity of messages: 1 for normal output, 2 for more verbose output and 3 for debug

Available commands:
add-namespace Add a namespace to a file
doctor Run all cleanup tasks configured for this project
help Displays help for a command
inspect Inspect unfixable code and provide useful warnings. Run after “upgrade” command.
list Lists commands
upgrade Upgrade a set of code files to work with a newer version of a library

I think, I should update silverstripe upgrader itself. If yes, can you please suggest how to update?

Definitely. The current version is 1.4.1 I think, and should have the missing commands. On that second link, there are some notes about upgrading the upgrader which might help.

If you run

upgrade-code -v

what version number does it show?
It may be something as simple as having an old version

I think, here the second link is asking to run self-update command.
Should I run upgrade-code self-update command?

I am at root directory of my website in command prompt. If I run above command, it does not work. It displays Command "self-update" is not defined.

Can you please suggest?

The self-update function was only added in the later versions. If you installed it with composer, you’ll need to update it with composer (or remove it an re-install). If you are using the .phar file, then you just need to get the latest version of that and replace the old one on your system

I am now following in unix bash interface:

1. Download the upgrader as a PHAR executable or wget https://silverstripe.github.io/silverstripe-upgrader/upgrade-code.phar
  2. Make the file executable chmod +x upgrade-code.phar
  3. Move the file to a folder in your path, for example sudo mv upgrade-code.phar /usr/local/bin/upgrade-code
    as per https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/4/upgrading/upgrading_project/

But when I run sudo upgrade-code -v command, i get following error.
PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting ';' or '{' in phar:///usr/local/bin/upgrade-code/src/Util/UpdateChecker.php on line 30

Is there any help on it? Thank you.

I’m guessing that’s related to the PHP version you’re running in the command line, it looks like that kind of error. If you run php -v in the command line, what do you get?

If I run php -v in the command line, I get following:

PHP 5.6.40-7+ubuntu18.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (cli)
Copyright (c) 1997-2016 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2016 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2016, by Zend Technologies

Thank you. I could run upgrade-code with PHP 7.1. But when I run upgrade-code recompose --write command, I see following:

Upgrading PHP constraint
========================

Done.

Rebuilding dependencies
=======================

! [NOTE] Trying to re-require all packages

* Requiring php:">=5.6" .......................... ✔
 * Requiring silverstripe/recipe-core:"4.3.3" ............................................................................................................................................. ✔
 * Requiring silverstripe/recipe-cms:"*" .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ✔
 * Requiring silverstripe/reports:"*" .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ✔
 * Requiring silverstripe/siteconfig:"*" ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................ ✔
 * Requiring silverstripe-themes/simple:"*" .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ✔

In Process.php line 1236:

The process "composer update --working-dir='/tmp/ss-upgrader-5cebcffcc32fb' --prefer-stable --ignore-platform-reqs --no-plugins" exceeded the timeout of 60 seconds.

recompose [-d|--root-dir ROOT-DIR] [-w|--write] [-S|--strict] [-R|--recipe-core-constraint [RECIPE-CORE-CONSTRAINT]] [--cwp-constraint [CWP-CONSTRAINT]] [-P|--composer-path [COMPOSER-PATH]] [-Q|--quick]

I have set composer process-timeout to 900. But still I am getting above error.

I have searched for help links like Upgrading to silverstripe 4.3 shows “exceeded the timeout of 60 seconds” · Issue #7943 · composer/composer · GitHub but without success.

Is there any help on it? Thank you.