Updating Silverstripe 4

Silverstripe Version:

Question:

Hi, I have a website on SilverStripe 4.2.2. I would like to update it to the latest version (4.3.0), but the only way I can access my webhosting is via FTP. So I have to do the update manually. What is the best way to do it? I could delete the whole page, update it on my local machine via Composer and upload it again. But I wonder if there is a simpler solution? E.g. overwrite only files in vendor folder or something like that.

Thank you very much
Jan

Hey @Jan_H,

you can change the version in a composer.json file.

"silverstripe/recipe-cms": "4.3.0@stable"

Then run composer update.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks…!!

Thanks for your answer!

This works fine on my local webserver (I´m using WAMP) but there is no way I can use Composer directly on the server of my webhosting provider (as far as I know).

So the only way I can think of is:

1. download all the files from the webhost
  2. copy the files to WAMP, update via Composer and test if everything works
  3. delete the files from the webhost server and upload my local updated version

This could be a little time consuming, so I was thinking maybe I do not need to delete and re-upload all the files. But the more I think about it, the more I believe the process I described above is the only possible.

Well, I guess I just answered my original question… :blush:

You could try using a service like Deploybot, which works via GitHub/BitBucket & FTP. That way everything stays in sync between your local system and your server.

It can also interface with SFTP, AWS, Digital Ocean, Heroku & Shopify