Why SilverStripe

Hello
and please this is not a flame question, but is just a question about SilverStripe.
Why should someone choose SilverStripe, instead of WordPress or Drupal or something else?

and please this is not a flame question

Well, it’s a bit of an open-ended question. In some cases, the answer may well be, “you shouldn’t”.
Like anything, you need to be sure you choose the right tools for the job.
I personally choose SilverStripe 99% of the time for the following reasons:

• It’s very flexible - can be used for most applications
  • There’s excellent community support
  • It’s built on a solid foundation of code, which follows PHP standards
  • It’s designed as far as possible to be secure by default - there is no slavish desire for backwards compatibility which leaves gaping security holes
  • It has a very powerful ORM, and organises its data in a reasonable way
  • It’s easy to extend and build upon, meaning that you don’t end up with code you can’t use in the future.
  • I almost never have to do user training for the CMS, it’s generally very simple and obvious

I’m not a fan of Drupal at all, so I’m not going to comment on that. Wordpress has an amount of simplicity going for it, and a massive number of free add-ons to make it do useful things. My main objections to it are from a developer perspective. The CMS isn’t especially intuitive, it has hateful data structures, doesn’t follow any PHP coding standards and is in need of constant patching to prevent security exploits.

As I say, there are pros and cons to all software and it would be wrong to say that SilverStripe is perfect, but in my opinion, it’s head and shoulders above most of the other offerings.

We used to use Yii Framework, which is excellent from developer point of view. However, the lack of a decent CMS on top of the framework means extra for us. Silverstripe is a great fit as framework is fantastic and CMS interface is easy to use. As @Tim said, not much training is required for customers during hand-over.

1 Like