Wireframe for potential Project Tasks

I propose a concept that provides a more direct way to show people how SilverStripe works—providing practical tutorials where everyone can comment. Tasks can be pushed up or down, or added/deleted. This way people are informed to tackle problems in the best order.

It does not have to be limited to upgrading. This wireframe and layout could be used for many things.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, but I’m slightly unsure of what you’d achieve with it, besides the upgrading docs?

Great.

My thoughts are if you had a tutorial like upgrade SS3.x to 4.x the tasks are steps to upgrade your site.

One thing I’m having trouble with, as a beginner, is knowing exactly what to do first when upgrading. So, if tutorials had the step-by-step tasks you could see useful links and issues related to that task.

For instance, right now, I’m trying to get the

composer require composer/semver

command to access the https://gist.github.com/robbieaverill/cad0260414226645b404c45b2059fdf9#file-ss4-upgradability-check-php

For some reason I’m getting errors regarding the extension=intl.so which gives: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library despite having the extension enabled in php.ini. This issue could go in the Common Issues column.

This php script seems really useful, should I run it before?:

Or should I do this first? https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/4/changelogs/4.0.0/#upgrading

See how I have uncertainty? I thought if the tutorial was commentable then there could be dynamic discussion on the topic. People could say, “definitely run that php script first.” Someone else could say, “forget that do this…” Votes would move a task up or down.

But this is just an example.

Maybe I want to do a project on shopping carts or something in the future. I could create a new “project.” Likewise, anyone could do the same on any tutorial-like topic they choose. Then other developers could see, “hey, this is how they did that.” There might be six projects of Upgrade SS3.x to 4.x. This would be useful; people with similar sites, and modules could find the one closest to their situation and use it as a guide.

Perhaps it’s own section on the forum?